SOUTHERN COMPANY GAS - Industrial Hygiene Manager
The purpose of this position is to ensure Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) compliance, focusing on Industrial Hygiene and Occupational Safety programs. Responsible for managing and administering company policies and procedures to support Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards, other local/state/federal EHS regulations, and industry best practices to ensure compliance across all Southern Company Gas employee work groups and territories. Has direct responsibility for the management of employees within the safety discipline. Leads and administers Critical Risk Management programs and a Safety & Health Management System, with specific focus of Industrial Hygiene systems.
•BA/BS degree in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Engineering or other related technical or science degree
Preferred: Certification such as CSP (Certified Safety Professional), CIH (Certified Industrial Hygienist), PMP (Project Management Professional) or equivalent
Related Work Experience:
· Minimum of 6 -8 years experience in occupational safety, industrial hygiene, process safety, and/or motor vehicle safety compliance
· Working knowledge of Industrial Hygiene discipline
· Practical experience for field application of safety programs
· Working knowledge of OSHA regulations and programs
· Conducting safety related assessments and inspections
· Safety related regulation interpretation and developing appropriate corporate safety policies
· Use and configuration of compliance software systems and databases
· Safety related training and presentations
· Equivalent academic education and experience
Specific Skills& Knowledge:
· Working knowledge of applicable Federal and State regulations (e.g. OSHA)
· Ability to manage multiple projects with limited supervision
· Ability to understand and analyze legislation and regulation and translate into corporate summaries and policy as needed
· Strong leadership skills
· Must be able to work in the field under a variety of weather conditions
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Knowledge of safe work practices and procedures
· Strong presentation and team facilitation skills
· MS Office Suite - intermediate proficiency, ability to learn other databases and technology tools quickly
· Project management skills
· Strong organizational and time management skills
· Competency to work independently, to be a self-starter, and take initiative
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Travel requirements: Occasional (5-20% travel) to Regular (20-50% travel) Traveler: The incumbent may be required to travel on a regular basis. Trips will likely require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
• Must be able to respond to urgent EHS issues when contacted on mobile communication device as issues arise after hours.
• Physical demands: Prolonged Standing or Walking: This position frequently requires prolonged standing or walking.
• Work environment: The incumbent works in an office environment and may be exposed to varying outdoor weather conditions when working with field operations, conducting facility inspections, facilitating assessments, etc.
Director, Corporate Safety